September 21, 2006

Ghana Library Assistance


Ghana Library Assistance
Originally uploaded by crr29061.
It is very important for librarians to maintain an international awareness about libraries. I am a member of the ALA International Relations round table and it's articles such as this that allow me to understand the many hardships and in other cases advancements that are taking places in libraries in other countries. Libraries don't only exist in the United States. When I was conducting research at the University of the Azores in Ponta Delgada, the professor I stayed with mentioned to me that he thought many Americans would only search American databases and if they didn't find the information they needed, then it must not exist. He opened my eyes to understanding that there are worldwide resources available to use and that we should not only look for resources in America, but also in foreign library catalogs that are available via the Internet.

Think outside the borders.
Understand what libraries in other countries do.
Have a more international awareness about the profession.

No comments:

Post a Comment