April 30, 2008

Dewey Decimal?


Dewey Decimal
Originally uploaded by Gexydaf
During my April poll of visitors to my blog I posed the question, Should public libraries do away with DEWEY? Not too surprisingly, 17% of respondents said YES, and 82% said NO. This was out of a total of 63 votes. So, visitors to my blog think that libraries should keep the Dewey Decimal system! I'm actually kind of surprised that so many voted to do away with Dewey as I figured more would want to keep Dewey in libraries. According to Wikipedia, the Dewey Decimal system was revised in 2004 but is it a good classification system compared to LC or others? Did you know there is a Belgian Universal Classification system, and a Nippon and Chinese classification system? Read more at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dewey_Decimal_Classification and comment on what you think about classification systems for libraries. Is a browsing collection better for your patrons?

No comments:

Post a Comment