July 30, 2008

Bill Could Ban Facebook, MySpace At Libraries

Hmmm, isn't it interesting that this patron thinks it's more of a parental decision... what a concept! :-)


COLUMBUS, Ohio
— Congress is considering a bill that would ban children from accessing social networking Web sites at library computers without parental permission.

Supporters said the goal is to prevent sexual predators from contacting children, 10TV's Tracy Townsend reported.

Sarah Davenport told 10TV News that her family uses the library often and does not agree with the ban.

"I think the role of libraries is changing, and I'm not sure that's the role of Congress to interfere in that," Davenport said. "I think it's more of a parental decision."

Davenport's daughter, Lily, has a page on Facebook and said she agrees.

"Maybe it would be better if there was a ban on inappropriate sites," Lily Davenport said.


Read more...




Technorati Tags:

1 comment:

  1. I appreciate Congress making the attempt to protect our children, however, it is my responsibility as a parent to monitor the whereabouts of my children on the Internet and to allow or disallow them from certain sites I deem inappriopriate. Congress needs to spend their time on other more important topics rather then dictating to our libraries about their jobs...

    Librarians are there to help my children find books, do research, etc and our local branch does a great job. I want my children to see them as a resource for their education and personal knowledge.

    ReplyDelete