January 12, 2012
Institute for Department Management
I had a great time presenting yesterday for the USC Institute of Public Service and Policy Research. Below are my presentation and session notes. Enjoy!
· Google· Facebook· Twitter
Using social media to enhance constituent services jan 2012
Using Social Media to Enhance Constituent Services Wrap-Up
January 11, 2011
How is local government changing?
· Hired a Public Information Officer to coordinate social media
· Awareness is important and you need to have a social media policy in place
o Visit http://www.statelibrary.sc.gov/docs/board/201109_com_scsl_social_media_policy.pdf for a copy of the SC State Library’s social media policy.
· Provide more wi-fi
· There is much more transparency
· There is a lot more PR/Advertising
What are your thoughts on the video (social media statistics)?
· Quick way to reach people
· Young people
· “good grief”
· What are the environmental repercussions?
· What’s it replacing?
1) How can we as public agencies engage our citizens?
b. Social media
c. Email communications
d. Offer wi-fi
e. Facebook and twitter by department
f. Tax map info
g. Post Most commonly asked questions
h. Provide information about FOI
i. Random advertisements
2) How can we make it easy for customers to do business with us?
a. Credit card payment online/tickets/fees
b. Post RFP/RFQs online
c. Make web site easier to navigate
d. Provide online forms
e. Provide Electronic billing/email statements
f. Have links to important and timely information on web site
g. Use paypal
h. Allow users to sign up for services via web site
3) How can our department be more transparent?
a. Post events to social media
b. Post surveys to social media
c. Have a virtual town hall
d. Post meeting minutes, policies, new construction details online
e. Provide customer service (ask a question online) via web site
f. Web site must be updated with relevant information
g. Post the budget and ordinances online
h. Uplink live video of council meetings, parole hearings, etc., on web site
4) How can we provide services efficiently with new technology where it makes sense?
a. Provide online forms,
b. planned reviews,
c. utilize 311 system,
d. create an iPhone app
e. Allow bill paying online
f. Provide the ability to make appointments online with staff for assistance
· SC Secretary of State
· SC Dept of Commerce
· US Census
· Dept of Labor
· Labor Licensing and Regulation
· Local newspapers
· SC treasurer’s office
· Whitepages, yellowpages, google
· Town website
· EIP/state health benefits
· State retirement
· State ethics commission
· Google maps
· B&c Board
· Specific event websites (www.hartsvillechristmasparade.com)
· GIS/property tax
· Google street view/map/earth
· MASC job listings
· www.thestate.com – local reporters blog
· Revers address